Last updated on December 13th, 2010 at 02:39 pm
The excitement increases as the time gets closer for your visit to Hickory Furniture Mart. Regardless of whether you are a designer, vendor or decorating junkie the experience is sure to be a good one. But a large building featuring over 1000 vendors can be overwhelming and intimidating. Here are a few tips that might make your trip to the Mart more productive and enjoyable.
- Come prepared. Know what you are looking for. Have the measurements of your room(s) with you along with any photos, advertisements or fabric samples that may prove helpful in your search for that perfect piece.
- Wear comfortable shoes. You are going to be doing a lot of walking.
- If you are reading this you are on our site now. Go back to the home page and print out a list of manufacturers and the map of all four floors. Knowing where your preferred manufacturer is located will allow you to create a “plan of attack”.
- Bring a camera and a note pad. Take a photo and note the characteristics of the piece so you can be sure to find the piece later.
- Familiarize yourself with a bit of design lingo. For example, know what a tear sheet is and what “to the trade” means. If you are buying fabric or upholstered items be aware of terms like railroading, bias and welting.
- Be sure to allow enough time to visit the Furniture Museum located on the first floor. It is both fun and educational.
Now all that is left to do is to shop and have fun!